Missing Kettle Moraine Student Comes Home Safe

Fifteen- year- old Kathryn Stalbaum, a Kettle Moraine student disappeared Tuesday, November 5, on her way to school. Kathryn’s whereabouts were unknown to her family and friends for three days.  A thorough investigation was done, and it is confirmed that she left of her own free will.

On the morning of November fifth, Kathryn was seen riding her bike to school. She rode her bike through the town of Brookfield. She then left her bike and took a bus to the O’Hare Airport in Chicago. For three days, Kathryn walked around Chicago.

Mr. Tower, AHS teacher said “I was very saddened to hear that she was missing and hoped like everyone that she returned as quickly as possible.  Being a teacher of students who are the same age it hit home very much. There might be some embarrassment there for her after what just happened but I’m sure KM will welcome her with open arms. ”

The search for Kathryn began 12 hours after her disappearance, when her parents came home after work and received a message from the school saying she was absent. Crime Stoppers offered $1,000 reward for valid information leading to Kathryn’s recovery.

On November 8th, Kathryn went to the police asking for help. She was then returned home to her family. Since she is a juvenile, certain details of the case are not shared with the public.

Lexi Sluss, a sophomore says, “Maybe she was planning on meeting up with someone, had a bad home situation, or was getting bullied at school. That’s the only thing that would make sense besides her having a moment of insanity.”

The police want teens to know that law enforcement is there to help no matter how bad they think they situation is. The department wants missing persons to know that coming home will not result in anymore trouble then they are already in.  They want to continue growing their relationship with teens.

The Sheriff’s Department thanks the community for all the help and support, while they worked through the case.

Alyona Guns, a sophomore says, “It was a major waste of people’s time searching for her, and worrying about her when she was fine the whole time.”

Kathryn is now home with her family, and only stated that while she was in Chicago she had very little sleep, and was able to buy a few meals with the money she brought.