Arrowhead Offers AP Studio Art to Juniors and Seniors

Arrowhead High School requires each student to take at least one art class in their high school career.  There are four different levels of art classes and AP Studio Art is the only class on level four.

AP Studio Art highly recommends taking a higher level art class before entering.

This class has a testing fee of $100 and a $20 material fee.  If a student is unable to afford the testing cost, there is an option to get it waived.

The Course description for this class says, “In Advanced Placement Studio Art students pursue and have potential to receive credit for college-level course work. A.P. Studio Art is based on a digital portfolio, the compilation of students’ work centered on a theme. There is considerable freedom to explore their own artistic interests and strengths. Students research ideas, techniques,

methods so that finish works reflect the technique and mastery of a first year college

student. The course requires a student to be self-motivated and requires work time

outside of the class period to complete the portfolio.”

The class is a year long course that meets every other day for two class periods.  The block period every other day is to allow for the students to have more time to work.  

Students in this class that create 2-D artworks are required to submit 15 pieces in their portfolio to AP to grade in May, students that are creating 3-D pieces must submit only 10 pieces.

AP Studio Art is very intense and requires students to spend time on projects outside of school, according to the Arrowhead course guide.  

Sherry Moseler is the only teacher and says students are always welcome to come into her room to work throughout the day.  

There is only one section for this class, this year it falls on ¾ B-days.

Lauren Theiler, a AP Studio Art 2-D student said, “it’s a challenge, but it’s a good challenge,” when asked how she would describe the class in only a few words.