Arrowhead Students Enjoy Spring Break

A beachside view in Destin, Florida. Photo taken by Myla Elahi.

When school let out on Thursday, March 29, spring break began for students at Arrowhead. Friday, March 30, was Good Friday, with Easter Sunday falling on April 1. As spring break kicked into gear, many students left Wisconsin to go on vacation with their families.

Junior Myla Elahi climbed into her car with her parents and two younger sisters, Lola and Sasha, first thing when break started, and they road tripped to Destin, Florida. They took two days to drive down to their destination, and another two days to drive back home to Wisconsin in time for school which resumed on Monday, April 9.

“It was really fun, but most of my spring break was spent in the car. We were actually only in Florida for three days,” Elahi says. “It was definitely lots of fun though, even with all of the driving we had to do.”

Elahi says much of her time in Florida was spent on the beach swimming, and she enjoyed going out to dinner with her family.

Other students like junior Martha Kobiske stayed home during their spring break. Kobiske spent her time working her job at Shopko in Sussex, relaxing at home, and catching up with her friends.

“It would have been cool to go somewhere warmer, but staying home was still nice. Any break from school and homework definitely helps take a load off,” Kobiske says. “Even working wasn’t too bad because I didn’t have to go in every single day. I had time to do other things too, so it wasn’t suffocating.”

The best part of spring break, Kobiske says, was not having the thought of homework looming over her head.

Without school work stressing her out, Kobiske says she found her job at Shopko much more bearable, and she found herself enjoying working with her friends.

“It’s something about not having to think about all the homework waiting for you at home,” Kobiske says.

Junior Brandon Carpenter stayed at home for his spring break, as well. Carpenter says he was glad to stay home, as he would rather not go on vacation. It’s more relaxing to stay at home, says Carpenter.

Carpenter frequently went laser tagging with his friends at SABR Xtreme Laser Tag in Pewaukee. He also worked his part-time job at the Shopko in Sussex.

Working wasn’t the most fun, Carpenter says, but he was satisfied because he still had plenty of time to hang out with his friends. Carpenter says that, more than anything, he appreciated the break from school and homework.

“I think that’s why breaks are so important. Yes, we get the weekends, but that’s not a proper break and students aren’t able to distance themselves from school enough in that time. We still have homework on the weekends. Spring break was a proper break where we could actually relax,” says Carpenter.

Kobiske says that she was relieved when spring break rolled around. She and her friends had been counting down the days for a month before March 29.

A break gives students something to look forward to, Kobiske says, which can be a great motivator when students are struggling to put effort into their school work.

“It’s just so easy for high schoolers to get burnt out,” Elahi says. “It’s literally hardwired in our brains to dramatize things, and I know I get worn out because of it. Spring break really helps me take a step back and refresh.”