Speak Up Survey To Be Taken On The Dec. 6 Homeroom At Arrowhead

On Wednesday December 6 at Arrowhead there will be a homeroom that allows students to take a survey on technology in Arrowhead.

According to AHS Director of Library Media & Technology Donna Smith the homeroom will take place at South Campus from 8:34 to 9:14 and it will last from 8:44 to 9:24 at North Campus. The survey, entitled Speak Up, will be taken by both staff and students. The survey consists of questions regarding how you use technology for school related purposes so both local and national policymakers can make educational technology based decisions for programs, policies, and funding. Your specific answers are kept completely confidential but the data is shared.

Speak Up is a National Research Project that’s featured participation from over 3.4 million K-12 education stakeholders since 2003. According to their website, http://www.tomorrow.org/speakup/, they have received over 118,000 surveys. The purpose of Speak Up is to give unfiltered input to stakeholders about education, technology, science and math instruction, and professional development.

Speak Up was founded in 2003 when a national AmeriCorps program discovered that there was a disconnect between how students wanted to use technology in a classroom setting and how the teachers wanted the students to use technology in the classroom. The first Speak Up surveys, which were funded by the US Department of Education, were originally only focused on student views but they later came to incorporate faculty and parental views.

Any school is eligible to take the Speak Up survey. The survey is currently only available in English for students but parental surveys do have a Spanish option. Reports on the data collected are created every spring.

To complete the survey, you must go to the survey website and click the “start student survey” button. Enter your school zip code and/or select your state. You will then locate Arrowhead High School. Select your grade level and enter the school specific password. The password for the Speak Up survey is “hawks”.