Arrowhead Facilities Referendum Vote to be Held November 8th

The Arrowhead facilities referendum will take place November 8th for members of the Arrowhead District.

Arrowhead Union High School Board of Education is holding a referendum on November 8th. According to Arrowheadschools.org, the Board of Education has created a plan, after six years of researching, planning, and hearing from community groups, that will address “instructional, life safety, security, infrastructure, Americans with Disabilities Act accessibility, and co- curricular program needs.”

The referendum ballot will have two separate questions. One regards to whether the school should update the “campus-wide buildings and site improvement program” which will cost $64,700,000 and one regarding the “annual operational funding on a recurring basis,” which will cost $173,000.

Question one asks for permission to use money for renovations of instructional areas, classrooms, special ed, design, engineering and manufacturing areas, site and stormwater management improvements, security, life safety and building infrastructure updates, constructing and equipping a fine arts auditorium, a replacement swimming pool, storage areas and a new science lab as additions to the existing school buildings and acquisition of furnishings, fixtures and equipment.

Question two asks about using money for “recurring purposes to support the annual operating costs associated with the fine arts auditorium and replacement swimming pool additions.”

If the referendum is approved, the amount of money citizens will pay for the projects on their taxes is based on the worth of their home. The estimated average property tax increase for a $100,000 home is $71 a year for question one, and $3 a year for question two. The estimated average property tax increase for a $300,000 home is $213 a year for question one and $9 a year for question two. And for a $500,000 home, the additional cost would be $355 for question one and $15 for question two.

Jodi Tarala, a member of the Arrowhead District says, “I am aware of the proposed Arrowhead High School referendum and am not in favor of it. Arrowhead School district has always been a top performer in the state, and I believe that is entirely due to a strong curriculum, excellent teachers and involved parents. Even the most state of the art school with the bells and whistles would not be successful if it did not have these basic things. Asking taxpayers to spend nearly $65 million dollars is extremely excessive. Let’s focus on what really matters. That’s why I will be voting  “no” in the upcoming referendum.”

The life safety, security, and infrastructure involves upgrades in emergency and electrical systems and will cost $20.2 million. The instructional area plan involves renovation of classrooms, special ed areas, labs, etc. A Design Engineering Manufacturing center (such as the one at South Campus) is also part of the plan. This cost is $16.3 million. Regarding the plan of a new auditorium, large performances at Arrowhead must be currently held in the gymnasium. With the new plan, a 1,200 seat auditorium will be added to North Campus. Backstage would also become ADA accessible, and include new dressing rooms, orchestra pit, and scene construction and storage areas. This estimated cost is $13.6 million. The new swimming pool plan includes a 40- yard pool with eight lanes and more deck space to hold 600 spectators. According to arrowheadschools.org, the existing pool will be used by physical education and fitness and as storage space. With these improvements, Arrowhead will be able to hold competitive meets. This estimated cost is $14.6 million.

Kelly Krause, an Arrowhead senior says, “ I have a lot of friends who swim and the swim team is very good so I believe that they should have a new pool because they should have equal quality stuff compared to the other sports teams.”

Voters are asked to bring their photo ID on November 8. The polls are open from 7am- 8pm on election day.  Voters must be over the age of 18 and live in the Arrowhead district. Details about where to vote based on your location can be found at http://www.arrowheadschools.org/referendum/voterinfo.pdf.