Characteristics in Great Teachers

A positive experience with one of your teachers throughout your life is something every student wishes they could acquire.  In this student-teacher relationship, you get to learn what the other is like and figure out great characteristics that make the relationship between the two of you so great.  Finding these characteristics is rare for students and teachers and some students will never find one of these relationships.  But really what great characteristics are students looking for to have this kind of relationship with their teacher?

The qualifications for a great teacher are they have to respect you just like you respect them.  If you are a respectful student, there is no reason why the teacher can’t be respectful of your needs.  It makes the student feel more like an adult and they can relate more with the teacher.

Great teachers are able to address any problems you may have about the subject that is being taught in class.  Help provided by a teacher who knows what they are doing is beneficial.  The student should be able to come talk to the teacher and not be let down by not understanding the topic.  The teacher should make time for students who need help.  It is very beneficial for the students if their teachers make time available for students to come in and get help.

Another great characteristic that a teacher should have is being supportive of the student, even if that means a sticker on a quiz or test or a nice email saying how the student is doing.  My advanced algebra teacher, Mrs. Viegut, is great at doing this.  She emails my parents and gives tips on ways I can improve in her class and she tells my parents the progress I’ve been making in the class.  It’s very helpful for me and also my parents so we can know what I need help with and how I’ve been doing in the class.

A teacher should always have a desire to educate people and act as a positive role model.  If they enjoy what they are teaching, the student will also enjoy and most likely understand more of what they have been taught.

When a teacher is positive and has a fun time teaching the subjects, it makes the class less boring and intrigues the student and that means more participation and learning.  When the teacher is acting as a positive role model for the student, the student will excel more in the class because they have similarities with the teacher and can relate to them more.  My western civilization teacher, Mr. Tower, has one of the best positive attitudes I’ve ever seen in a teacher.  He loves what he teaches and it makes the class more interesting and enjoyable.

One teacher that I’ve really found all these characteristics in is my chemistry teacher, Mrs. Koch.  She’s always interested in what she teaches which makes the class more entertaining.  Also, she always makes time for students which is very helpful and makes me excel in her class.  She’s one of nicest teachers that I know and I’m happy I’ve got to known her this past year.