DECA Students Work the School Store

The Arrowhead School Store with DECA students working.

Arrowhead High School has a school store that was started by the DECA department and Steve Melzer, a business teacher. The school store is run by the DECA students during their free periods.

The school store is located near the activities office right off the cafeteria and it is open from first to tenth hour. Also about 20 minutes after and before school hours.

Riley Knapek, a junior who is part of the Arrowhead High School DECA program, works the school store everyday during her first hour free period. Knapek said she works with at the store with Alyssa Amann, also a junior at Arrowhead High School.

Knapek said, “When I work the school store, it is considered an independent study. This will consist of me having to come up with a project at the end of the year on a way to improve the school store.”

An independent study is what the DECA students are in while working the school store. Every Wednesday they meet with Melzer during lunch to talk about promotional items, along with an end of the semester project on how to improve the schools store.

While working in the school store, Knapek said she does many different things. She said when they get a new shipment, she has to stock the shelves.

Knapek said, “We sell school supplies, water bottles, candy, spirit wear and snacks. The most commonly bought item is the Yo Mama’s frozen yogurt.”

The school supplies range from $5.00 to $15.00, the water bottles are $1.00, the candy ranges from 5 cents to $1.00, and the spirit wear is $5.00 to $15.00. The school store also has many promotional deals.

Knapek also said that although she is working the school store, Mr. Melzer  will come and check on how she is doing and if she has any ideas on how to make the store better.

Knapek said, “I enjoy working in the school store. It gives me good practice on being in control of a business type atomosphere.”