Café Arrowhead Prepares for its 20th Annual Lobster Boil

Special education student Angela Esteves helps boil lobsters at the 2016 Café Arrowhead Lobster Boil

On Friday, April 28th, Café Arrowhead is hosting their 20th annual Lobster Boil fundraiser at South Campus from 5:15 to 7:45 PM. Café Arrowhead is run by the special education department.

The Lobster Boil includes dinner, raffles, a silent auction, and other special anniversary activities throughout the evening.

When it first started in 1996, the event sold about 100 tickets. Last year, over 900 tickets were sold, according to school nurse and parent of a special education student Paula Nordwig. She says this year, Café Arrowhead is looking to sell over 1,000.

Tickets can be picked up from Nordwig or at Café Arrowhead at South Campus, and the pre-ordered dinner must be place before April 1st.

The lobster dinner, which is about 1 ¼ lbs per piece, costs $25.00 each. But more than just lobster is served. They are also offering a 10 oz steak dinner at $18.00. This features aged grass fed beef. Both meals come with coleslaw, baked potato, roll and butter, dessert, and beverage. The hamburger and the hot dog platter both cost $6.00. Tables can be reserved for eight or more guests.

Café Arrowhead will also be offering a fast pass that will allow attendees to pick up a to-go order.

Nordwig says, “[Families] will order like 12 lobster dinners, and take them home and invite people over for dinner.”

While families of the students with special needs make lobsters, students get supplies and set up the floor for the event. While the parent help by preparing the meals, students do the majority of the work prior to the event starting. During the event, they serve, bus tables, and interact with guests.

Nordwig says she hopes people take notice of the kids. “We want the community to see what our kids have accomplished and what they can do,” says Nordwig.

Along with the lobster dinner, there will be a silent auction during the event. Families can bring in items to be auction offed. Anyone attending can bid on the items or enter the raffle at the dinner.

All money made during this event will be going to Café Arrowhead, the special education program, and the AHS Special Olympics.

The money is used for entry fees for the Special Olympics, uniform, and transportation. The money also helps support Café Arrowhead, a state licensed restaurant that serves dinner to teachers and staff every Tuesday.

Nordwig says, “The food is really good, but what also is really good is the experience the students get.” said Nordwig.  It’s a very real world experience.”