Arrowhead to Hold Pill Drop at Mullett Ice Center

Arrowhead is holding a pill drop at the Mullett Ice Center on May 12th.

The Arrowhead Medical Terminology and Business Practices classes will be hosting another pill drop after last years success for community members. It will be on May 12th from 6:30 in the morning to 6:30 at night. The drop will be held at the Mullett Ice Center.

In an email from Laura Miller, a business education teacher at Arrowhead High School, said the Medical Terminology and Business Practices want to beat last year’s record. Last year, the pill drop collected 831 pounds of prescription and nonprescription drugs.

The purpose of the drop, according to Miller, is to help fight the epidemic of drug misuse in our community.

According to the Foundation for a Drug Free World, every day in the US, 2,500 youth (12 to 17) abuse a prescription pain reliever for the first time. And In 2005, 4.4 million teenagers (aged 12 to 17) in the US admitted to taking prescription painkillers, and 2.3 million took a prescription stimulant such as Ritalin. 2.2 million abused over-the-counter drugs such as cough syrup. The average age for first-time users is now 13 to 14.

Miller says,  “Start saving any of your unwanted or unused prescription and non-prescription medications to drop off at our event.”

Miller also says it will be appreciated if students, staff and community members can spread the word to family and friends.

Miller says, “The more people that know about this worthy event, the more we are able to get these medications off our streets, keep them out of the wrong hands and help keep our environment safe.”

Barbara Delaney, a former Director of Research at the Partnership for Drug-Free Kids, says, in an article by Celia Vimont of the Partnership for Drug- Free Kids, “Parents need to safeguard medicines in their home, and get rid of medicines that are out of date.” The researchers noted that because parents may not be aware of the level of risk or that their teenagers may be abusing prescription drugs, they may leave prescription drugs in open medicine cabinets, offering easy access,”

Early drop offs can be taken to South Campus in the office of 602, and at North Campus in the office across from room N151.

Any questions can be brought to Laura Miller at [email protected] or Annette LeMieux at [email protected].