Students Gear Up for Foreign Language Field Trip to Chicago

Sophomores Harry Smith, Jack Siepmann, Claire Babler, and Brenna Hamann on the 2015 Chicago Foreign Language field trip.

Each year, 20 spots are available for French and German students and 104 spots are available for Spanish students from South Campus to attend the annual field trip to Chicago. Two French/German chaperones and four Spanish chaperones accompany students. This year, the field trip is on December 9th.

The busses depart at 6:10 am at Door G South Campus and return around 10:30pm for the French and German students;the Spanish busses depart at 6:10 am at Door A at North Campus.

The trip costs $175 and the deadline for registration was November 1st as the busses fill up quickly, according to french teacher Ramona Amour.

According to Armour, the French and German students will partake in six activities during their time in Chicago. The students will take cooking lessons, watch a movie and eat lunch at l’Alliance Francaise or Goethe Institute, explore the Art Institute of Chicago, visit the Museum of Science and Industry, have dinner at Bistrot Zinc and visit the Christkindlmarket.

“The students will get a chance to practice their language skills at Alliance Francaise and Goethe Institute, as well as explore cultural aspects of their language,” says Armour.

According to Spanish teacher Kathi Koepke, the Spanish students will partake in nine activities consisting of the following: a tour of the Pilsen Village Wall Murals, a visit to the National Museum of Mexican Art, an exploration at Little Village, lunch at Nuevo Leon, Latin Street Dancing, Christkindlmarket, Magnificent Mile shopping, dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe, and a trip to the John Hancock Tower.

“Through this trip, the students are able to see and use their Spanish knowledge in a real life situation. They will be able to visit a Mexican neighborhood and shop and eat local food. They will visit the National Museum of Mexican Art where they will learn about Mexican art and Dia de los Muertos. We will also see many murals, depicting the Latino culture. They will also be able to sample authentic Mexican food. Lastly, they will visit a traditional European Market, where they can sample traditional food and walk through the traditional shops,” says Koepke.

Students like sophomores Molly Leyden and Jake Kellerman are starting to get excited for the trip as they have heard from many students that it is an exciting experience.

Leyden says she is looking forward to experiencing the Spanish culture in the Little Village and hopes to buy some traditional Mexican food while shopping.

Kellerman says he is looking forward to the Latin Street dancing the most.

“The trip was amazing last year because I got to see a different side of Chicago I have never seen before. I also really enjoyed just the city in general. I signed up for this trip because last year’s trip was a great experience and I thought to myself, why not go again? I am looking forward to the dancing the most because I love to bust a move,” says Kellerman.