Arrowhead JV Girls Tennis Team Ends Their Season With a Win at Conference

The Arrowhead girls JV tennis team took home a win over the weekend after conference at Heyer Park.

Over the weekend, the Arrowhead Girl’s JV tennis team had their conference tournament on Saturday, September 17th.  It was the last tournament of this year’s JV tennis season which started August 7th and ended Friday, September 23rd. The conference ran from 8am until 5pm at Heyer Park in Waukesha WI. Arrowhead won the tournament as a team, having the highest combined score after the matches were done, and the numbers of games were tallied.

The team is coached by Tracy Ford who selected a total of 10 girls out of the 16 on the team to go to conference. Ford is new to the Arrowhead coaching staff this year but nonetheless, coached the team to a victory.

Four singles players and three doubles teams were selected by Ford to participate. At the tournament, Catholic Memorial, Muskego, Mukwonago, Kettle Moraine, and Oconomowoc were in attendance.

Maria Bauer and Cassie Horkan, both seniors at Arrowhead, won their final doubles match together against Mukwonago. Bauer and Horkan were new to playing with each other at the beginning of the season and held the number one position and ranking on the JV team and were also an undefeated duo for the whole season.

The girls played three matches, each with two sets. Each set consisted of playing up to 6. Their first match scores were 6-0 and 6-2, second match was 6-0, 6-4, and the third was 6-0, 6-2.

Horkan says, “I am so thankful that I got to end my high school tennis career undefeated. It was a great way to finish the season with my teammates.”

Both Bauer and Horkan have played tennis since freshman year. Bauer was on the JV two tennis team her freshman year and then advanced to JV one and then JV her junior and senior years.

Horkan started her freshman year on JV 1 and moved on to JV for the rest of her high school career.

At Arrowhead, tennis is a cut sport; however, there are four teams. From lowest skill level to highest level, the teams are ranked as follows: JV one, JV two , JV, and Varsity.

Bauer says, “We had a really tough match. We won but the competition was tough. Overall, it was a really fun but long day. Everyone was really happy we won. We all slept on the way home. Coach Cindy was really happy and proud of us. It was overall a really good season and it ended good too.”

In the off season, Bauer plans to focus on school as well as her job and Horkan runs her own cake-making business.

To join the Arrowhead Girl’s tennis team, tryouts are held the first week of August and anyone is welcome to tryout. Arrowhead also has a coed summer camp ran by Jeremy Schlitt (who is a boys tennis coach and ex girls JV coach) to warm up for the season. This goes from the Monday after school is let out until the end of July. Monday through Thursdays, the camp runs drills and games. Fridays are optional match play days that consist of mini tournaments. All skill levels are welcome.